Saturday, January 16, 2010

When the Moon Hits Your Eye, Like a Big Pizza Pie!

Have to update with this yummy, thrown together at the last minute deliciousness. XD

I grew up in Brooklyn, and pizza was always a big deal to me. The crispy bottom and puffy edges of crust, with the gooey cheese melted so geneoursly on top of a sweet tomato sauce. I remember when I was new to veganism and how I was devastated that first night my family bought pizza, and I could participate with them. This went on a few times after, but I managed to find a way to adapt to this. I started just eating pizza without the cheese, but loaded with veggies. It made it bareable, and later I just loved the taste on it's own. Sometimes I think about the cheese...and as much as I want to test out some vegan cheeses, the cost and reviews of some haven't made me confident in using them just yet.

I think this alternative worked out very nice though! A mock pizza that pulls on the flavors I missed so much.

Mushroom Personal Pizza

Very simple to put together. Used some shiitake mushrooms I had in the fridge, sauteed with olive oil and a bit of salt to sweat them out. Set that aside, and made a quick pizza sauce that had a bit of tomato paste, canned tomatoes, black beans, pinch of dried basil, little olive oil, and salt.

I bought some mini wraps at my local health food store for $0.99! Took one, sprayed a bit of olive oil on top. Spread the sauce on top, then spread the mushrooms on top. Then to bring all the flavors together, I topped it with the fabulous crumbly tofu "cheese" recipe taken from the ppk. It doesn't melt, but the flavor is there, and it's good enough for me. Carefully placed this bad boy in my toaster oven, and cooked it until the edges got a bit crisp. Ate it with a nice cup of warm tea. Definitely made my afternoon. If anyone tries this, feel free to throw anything you want on this thing. I'm sure a lot of things could work on this. All I would advice is cooking any veggies you throw on top. It prevents the crust from getting all soggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment