Monday, January 4, 2010

Cravings

My local health store inspired me to make something yummy tonight. And instead of going all the way down there to get the desired item (ravioli stuffed with squash....yummmm), I decided to make it from scratch and improvise slightly. I mean, why not? I had frozen winter squash in my freezer (which I had no idea what to do with), some left over frozen spinach, freshly made tofu ricotta (courtesy of the ppk) and lasagna noodles. It turned out pretty good, surprisingly! Very easy, and cheap. Took me about 15 minutes to whip up, and the most tedious part was trying to unfreeze the frozen squash.


Almost Ravioli (makes 10 large ravioli)

4 lasagna noodles (I used 100% whole wheat version)
1 package of frozen winter squash (I'm sure fresh squash is better)
1/4 cup frozen spinach
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp EVOO
tofu ricotta (optional...but sooooo tasty)


Cook lasagna noodles according to the directions on the package. While noodles are cooking, place frozen winter squash in a small pan with EVOO over medium heat. Once completely thaw, add spinach, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Stir continuously until flavors blend. The squash shouldn't be soupy at this point. Turn heat off, and set aside.

Carefully remove noodles from water and place on flat surface. Cut each noodle into equal parts. I got about 5 pieces around the same size for each noodle. Take one piece of the cut noodle on a plate, scoop the squash mixture onto the noodle slice, sprinkle tofu ricotta ontop of the mixture, and then cover the filling with another noodle slice. Continue this process until you have 10 ravioli. I sprinkled some excess tofu ricotta on top....just because....*drool*...and if you have a suace or what not you want to use...go for it! I didn't because I ran out. Ooooppppssss!

Will be reheating some for tomorrow at work. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment