Friday, January 1, 2010

Food Matters

Welcome to my humble little corner of the internetz. I want to share with you my experiences, my discoveries, my ups and downs as I explore this new lifestyle of mine. I am vegan. I have been since late August, and while people claim that I will get tired of it and eventually go back to my old ways...I honestly have no desire to ever go back to that way of life. It was so empty back then and I didn't feel very much alive. I just felt like I was making it to the next day and that is it.

Then, one day I picked up a book. Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat by Naomi Moriyama. It snow balled from there. I became so fascinated by health and how food had so many incredible properties to lift us up. I changed my ways. Increased my veggies and fruits, started working out, and cooking my own meals. I never thought I would continue changing after that. I had what I wanted. Lost the weight, gained more confidence, and even smiled more then I had in years. My body still wasn't satisfied though! Something was missing, and I couldn't figure out what. So, I did more reading. Stumbled upon some crazy stuff...veganism. I remember smirking when I saw the term. These people are crazy! Yes, I said it. But I found myself lingering over the thought for some time. The benefits seemed interesting. I didn't think I could do it though. What about the delicious meat, and the cheese! Well, I decided to at least cut down my meat for health reasons. It eventually got to the point where I really just....didn't really care for it. Eggs were easy to give up. Milk and cheese...a little longer. But once they were out of my life, I didn't miss them surprisingly.

I felt, so good! Better yet, I was enjoying food so much more then I ever had! So many different tastes, so many different options. Cooking became a passion. Even after a long day of work, I would always wonder what I could whip up for myself when I got home. It's been a fantastic journey so far, and I really want to share it with more people. Veganism really gets a bad rap. People instantly think things like "no flavor!" or "boring" or even "disgusting"! But I would never use those words. I've discovered so many delicious foods and techniques to prepare them. It's so visually appealing too! So many colors, it just inspires me to make these dishes look as appetizing as I know they are.

These foods heal, they are yummy, they make me feel so balanced, and full of energy! I want everyone to know this. I don't want veganism to be associated with horrible images, I want it to be shown through my eyes in all it's beauty. It's not just about cutting out the meat. It's all about the choices we make in order to better ourselves. So here I will share my cooking experiences, everyday life challenges, as well as the choices I make every day whether that has to do with fashion, the environment, or self awareness. Mistakes happen, and I won't be afraid to share those either. Life is about making mistakes, and what you do as a result of it. I plan to grow.

I don't want to shove my beliefs down anyone's throats. I want everyone to be able to get something out of these posts, even if it just makes more of you aware of the choices you make and how they effect you.

Cheers <3

No comments:

Post a Comment