Sunday, January 3, 2010

Breakfast

My favorite meal of the day is always breakfast. It used to be the meal I skipped the most, but now it's the time of day where I indulge the most. Normally I eat some kind of oatmeal variation. But on the weekends, I like to change it up and make something fancy. I owe it to myself after having worked so hard all week. Today, I think I out did myself.

Stuffed French Toast

Thinking about it is making me drool. I took the idea after watching an episode of Iron Chef America last night. Obviously, the recipe was modified to give it some vegan yum. Very simple, and I'm sure anyone can modify the inside to their liking.
_____________________________
Stuffed French Toast

the sandwich
2 slices of whole wheat bread
1 TBS peanut butter
1 ripe banana


the sandwich coating
1/2 c non-dairy milk
1 TBS whole wheat pastry flour
1 TBS nutritional yeast
1/2 TBS agave nectar (or sweetner of choice)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt


The first step is to design your sandwich. I only put enough peanut butter to coat the inside of both slices. Excess peanut butter isn't really my thing, but if you want more, slather it on! I then make a single layer of banana slices on the peanut butter to stick. Put both slices together and set aside.

Mix the coating for the sandwich in a bowl until mixed smoothly together. Try to get rid of the lumps so it doesn't look too soupy. Heat a skillet on medium heat and either spray or coat with your oil of preference. I happen to like coconut oil. Leaves mine crispy, which I love. Dunk your sandwich into the mixture. And then place on warm skillet. Wait till the first side is browned and then flip over. Once cooked to your liking, place on plate. Top with agave nectar (maple syrup if you prefer, both are delicious!) and some organic preserves. I topped mine with strawberry preserve because that's what I had hanging out in my fridge (very cheap at Trader Joe's ;D).

And there you have it! Delicious way to start the morning. Sophisticated way of having your PB&J if you want to look at it that way. Serve it with a warm cup of green tea, and I say your morning is set!

Cheers <3

No comments:

Post a Comment